Investing in Community
The Annual Community Grants Cycle is the heart of the Bainbridge Community Foundation (BCF) grants program. Since its inception in 2005, more than $2.11 million in grant dollars have been awarded through this program. This competitive grant program invites applications from nonprofits in all sectors. Through hundreds of hours of time by BCF staff and more than 40 well-trained community volunteers, applications are reviewed, site visits are conducted, and priorities are set. BCF discretionary funds provide the initial funding for proposals, and later BCF Fund Advisors and the community at large are invited to partner with BCF to support these important programs. This community-based approach to grantmaking ensures not only that needs are being met in the community, but it creates informed and engaged community members educated about and ready to address community needs
The 2018 Community Grants Cycle is now closed. For more information, please see Community Grants Program Overview for Applicants. Applications were due by 9:00 pm Pacific on March 14, 2018. If you have questions, please contact Debbie Kuffel, Program & Finance Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Highlights from the 2018 Community Grants Cycle:
- Forty-nine grants totaling a record $273,545 was awarded to 48 nonprofits serving Bainbridge Islanders in arts and culture, animal welfare, education, environment, health and human services, and recreation.
- Two local organizations were funded for the first time, as the grant program engaged 62 individuals, private foundations and donor advised funds.
- Over half of this year’s recipients, some 27 organizations, saw their requests fully funded.
- Grant applications were reviewed by an evaluation team of BCF staff and over 40 community volunteers who interviewed applicants, made site visits, and performed financial due diligence for each organization.
This success of this year’s Community Grants Cycle is due in large part to the countless volunteer hours given by our evaluation team and support by our funding partners. Another key to the program’s growth was “Bainbridge Gives” our online grantmaking portal. The online catalog showed initial grant recommendations for each organization, and invited donors to boost the awards with additional contributions.
BCF has seen dramatic growth in its Community Grants Cycle, doubling average grant size in six years. In 2013, 49 local agencies received a total of $139,000 for an average grant of $2,800. This year saw $273,545 in grants awarded and our average grant size grew to $5,583. For more information on our Community Grants Cycle, please see the following PDFs:
- Complete list of 2018 Community Grants Cycle awards
- Funding details of 2018 Community Grants Cycle awards
- Community Grants Cycle award history, 2005-2017
|Year||Grant Total||Average Grant||Number of Grants|
Is your organization a BCF grantee in need of our logo? Access the BCF mark here.
“A grant from BCF is a strong stamp of approval in our community. It helped us leverage a grant from the Harvest Foundation and inspired confidence with our teaching artists for the financial sustainability of the program — since government funding for the program began to decline a few years ago.”
—Bainbridge Island Arts and Humanities Council
Does your nonprofit organization want to apply for a Community Grants Cycle award? Here’s how!